Vapes and E-Cigs
E-cigarettes, also known as e-cigs, vapes, vape pens, and electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), are experiencing rapid growth in popularity, especially among teens and young adults. They come in a variety of forms, sometimes looking like USB flash drives, pens, and other items that make them hard for parents and teachers to spot.
JUUL Labs is the manufacturer of a line of e-cigarettes called JUUL. JUUL e-cigarettes are shaped like USB flash drives. These devices create a vapor by heating up cartridges or pods containing oils that come in a variety of flavors such as mint, mango, creme brulee, and more. In addition to flavored oils, each JUUL pod contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes, or the equivalent of 200 cigarette puffs.
The following resources contain more information on JUUL and similar e-cigarettes.
- E-Cigarettes Shaped Like USB Flash Drives (CDC)
- Teachers and Parents: That USB Stick Might Be an E-Cigarette (CDC)
- What is JUUL? (Truth Initiative)
Health Effects of Vapes and E-Cigs
Because e-cigarettes are still fairly new, scientists are still learning about the long-term health effects of their use. It is known that most e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which is highly addictive, toxic to developing fetuses, and can harm adolescent brain development. Other potential dangers include the ingestion of cancer-causing chemicals and heavy metals such as tin and lead.
The following resources contain more information on the health effects of vapes and e-cigarettes:
- About E-Cigarettes (CDC)
- Notes from the Field: Use of Electronic Cigarettes and Any Tobacco Product Among Middle and High School Students — United States, 2011–2018 (CDC)
- The Real Cost (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Alabama Tobacco Quitline
The Alabama Tobacco Quitline is a free telephone and online coaching service for any Alabamian who is ready to quit tobacco or e-cigarette use. Contact the Quitline for more information.
American Lung Association E-Cigarette Resources
- American Lung Association's Statement on E-Cigarettes
- The Impact of E-Cigarettes on the Lungs
- E-Cigarettes, Vapes and JUULs: What Parents Should Know
- E-Cigarettes, Vapes and JUULs: What Teens Should Know
- E-Cigarettes, Vapes and JUULs: What Schools Should Know
- Additional Resources on E-Cigarettes
Page last updated: December 12, 2018