Implementing a healthy vending machine program at work or in other locations can be an effective strategy in increasing access to healthy food and beverages. Below are some resources to assist you in your efforts.
- Alabama Healthy Vending Machine Program (AHVMP) Fact Sheet - Provides general information about the AHVMP and can be used as a marketing tool. A generic version to educate employees about upcoming changes is in the toolkit.
- AHVMP "Making a Good Choice" Video - Provides general information about the AHVMP.
- AHVMP Standards - Outlines the standards used to determine healthy snacks and beverages.
- Alabama Approved Snack List for the AHVMP - Contains snacks that are easily available to vendors in Alabama and meet the healthy vending standards for nutrition.
- Guidelines for Successful Healthy Vending Machines in Alabama - Provides direction for successfully implementing the AHVMP.
- Adapting Good Choice in Your Work Cafeteria and Snack Shop - Guidelines for implementing the AHVMP in a cafeteria or snack shop.
The "Good Choice" logo is used to identify snacks in a vending machine that meet the nutrition standards for the AHVMP. It may not be used with other nutrition vending standards. It is an attractive visual with a positive message that makes it easy to select healthy snacks and beverages. Downloadable "Good Choice" Stickers are available.
ADPH encourages healthy options in vending machines to assist with leading a healthier lifestyle. To learn about implementing healthy vending machines and stores in schools, visit School Nutrition.
Who is Using the Alabama Healthy Vending Machine Program?
Several organizations in Alabama offer healthier options in their vending machines. Download the current map.
Vending Machine Toolkit
Please answer a few questions so that we may know what type of organization is utilizing the toolkit. Once you have completed the following access form, you will be directed to a page that contains implementation tools and high-resolution "Good Choice" resources, including the flyer below, available to either print yourselves or take to a professional printer for use in your workplace.
- Healthy Vending Machine Toolkit Access Form
- Make a Good Choice: Snack Using the 10-10-5 Rule - This flyer provides a food label visual to explain the 10-10-5 nutrition standards. | Spanish Version: Hacer una buena elección.
FDA Finalizes Menu, Vending Machine Calorie Labeling Rules
The FDA has finalized the calorie labeling rules for standard menu items in restaurants and retail food establishments, as well as for food sold in vending machines. You can see the final rules below:
- Final Rule: Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments
- Final Rule: Calorie Labeling of Articles of Food in Vending Machines
Page last updated: August 11, 2017