Talking With Your Doctor

As part of your yearly checkup, your family doctor should offer to test you for prostate cancer. Your doctor can check for prostate cancer before you have any symptoms.

When visiting your doctor, you may be asked about your personal and family medical history. It is important to talk openly with your physician about prostate changes and tests you should take.

There are different health care professionals that manage prostate health. They can address your concerns, answer your questions, and find the best care for you. These health care professionals include:

  • Family and general practitioner and internists
  • Urologists (specializes in diseases of the male reproductive and urinary tract systems)
  • Urologic oncologists (treat cancers of the male urinary and reproductive systems)
  • Radiation oncologists (use radiation therapy to kill cancer cells)
  • Medical oncologists (treat cancers with medications such as hormone treatments and chemotherapy)
  • Pathologists (find diseases by studying cells and tissues under a microscope)
  • Nurses and social workers

During an office visit, in addition to having a physical exam, you may receive one or both of the two main screening tests used in the diagnosis of prostate cancer.

Page last updated: April 11, 2017