Scale Back Alabama announces 2018 prize winners
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rosemary Blackmon, Alabama Hospital Association
Teresa Fair, Alabama Department of Public Health
Eighteen men and women from across the state won cash prizes in the team grand prize drawing for Scale Back Alabama participants. In addition, the names of 40 individuals were randomly selected to win cash prizes for their weight loss of 10 pounds or more. Approximately 18,380 Alabamians participated in the 9-week competition that resulted in a total statewide weight loss of 60,689 pounds.
Local celebrities Live Action Nick, meteorologist James Spann of ABC3340, and Big Mo of the Montgomery Biscuits participated in the final event. The Montgomery Biscuits mascot celebrated reaching his goal of losing 150 pounds since last summer.
First Place – $1,000 each
- Team Divided; Melvin Howard and Eric McKee, Montgomery, Ala.
- TLDR; Jeremy Clark and Ryan Manning, Huntsville, Ala.
- WCA Warriors; Emily Capps, Enterprise, and Sandra Turner, Dothan, Ala.
Second Place – $500 each
- Tim & Drake’s Most Excellent Adventure; Drake Posny, Decatur, and Timothy Flowers, Hoover, Ala.
- Deacon Blues; Dave Bischoff, Albertville, and Jim Lawley, Gadsden, Ala.
- NULL; Whitney Lowrey, Frisco City, and Sharon Owens, Monroeville, Ala.
Third Place – $250 each
- Waist-A-Weighs; Cynthia Green and Brenda Purser, Red Bay, Ala.
- Starvin Marvin; Ginny Brewer, Lexington, and Kasidhe Pruet, Florence, Ala.
- Double Trouble; Lindsey Morgan and Misty Talley, Tarrant, Ala.
In addition, three Alabama schools were awarded special recognition and prizes that promote good nutrition and physical activity habits for students.
2018 Scale Back Alabama School Winners
- First Place – Radney Elementary School; Crystal Phillips, Coordinator
- Second Place – Lee County Board of Education; Krystal Patterson, Coordinator
- Third Place – Swift Elementary School; Maggie Wood, Coordinator
- Number of two-member teams on which both team members lost 10 pounds – 901
- Number of local coordinators – 459
- Number of teams participating – 9,190
- Number of individuals who lost any weight – 6,136
Scale Back Alabama is a free weight loss and physical activity program designed to encourage Alabamians statewide to get healthy by losing weight and have fun while doing it. The public/private partnership is sponsored by the Alabama Hospital Association, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, and the Alabama Department of Public Health.
To download footage from the final event:
- 30 -
ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
RSA Tower 201 Monroe Street, Suite 910, Montgomery, AL 36104
Phone: (334) 206-5300 | Fax: (334) 206-5520