Go Red for Women
Heart disease is the number one killer of women in Alabama. Go Red For Women is a passionate, emotional, social initiative run by the American Heart Association (AHA) and designed to empower women to take charge of their heart health. Go Red For Women encourages awareness of the issue of women and heart disease and also action to save more lives. The movement harnesses the energy, passion, and power women have to band together and collectively wipe out heart disease. It challenges them to know their risk for heart disease and take action to reduce their personal risk. It also gives them the tools they need to lead a heart healthy life.
Reasons To Believe
- Heart disease is the number one killer of women age 20 and over, killing approximately one woman every minute.
- More women die of heart disease than the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- 1 in 3 American women die of heart disease, compared to 1 in 30 women that die of breast cancer.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Eighty percent of cardiac events in women may be prevented if they make the right choices for their hearts, involving diet, exercise and abstinence from smoking.
Make It Your Mission to Fight Heart Disease in Women
There are many ways to show your support throughout the year, including simply wearing red to helping organize an event at your workplace, school, or local organization. Visit the American Heart Association for more information on Go Red For Women, including tips and information on healthy eating, exercise, and risk factor reduction.
Page last updated: January 10, 2019